Acne is an inflammatory skin condition. This chronic condition can leave scars on your face, shoulders, back, neck, chest and upper arms, making your appearance dull. About 50 million Americans report dealing with acne each year. Common types of acne that can be treated successfully at beauty clinics include whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, cysts and nodules.
Mostly, it victimizes during puberty when the sebaceous glands stay very much active. But, you may see pop ups and breakouts at any age. Despite being not dangerous, people get irritated with its scars. Their confidence level goes down and they may feel self-conscious in public.
- Excessive Oil Secretion: There are thousands of pores on our skin. The adrenal glands produce oil, which male hormones trigger in both males and females. It gets secreted from follicles that link glands with pores. This oil is sticky, which is called sebum. Actually, this sebum pushes dead skin cells through follicles to come out. Later, it becomes a reason for breakouts or pimples. When these follicles get choked, the oil gets deposited inside. Gradually, it causes a build-up there. This clogging turns ugly when bacterium viz. Propionibacterium breeds in it. The area swells and pimple starts developing.
- Hormonal Imbalance : When your androgen level rises, this can lead to increased presence of acne. Androgen is one of the hormones that start rising when you achieve adolescence. In females, it changes into estrogen. As this androgen level increases, the oil glands multiply and get enlarged to secrete more sebum. Inside the cells, this sebum stimulates bacteria to cause acne.
- Miscellaneous Factors: Apart from the above causes, there are some more factors that lead to acne flare-ups. Some medications that consist of androgen and lithium, greasy cosmetics, stress and imbalanced menstrual cycle – these also can trigger active acne.
Mild Acne Treatment
If you have a few traces of pimples, it is considered a mild condition. You can clear it with over-the-counter (OTC) products like resorcinol, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur, azelaic acid and retin-A. More sensitive skin requires creams or lotions meant to treat it. Likewise, the breakouts on oily skin can be improved with alcohol-based gels that are able to make it dry and hence, hamper bacterial growth.
Patients are suggested to start with a low dose and strength of the OTC because they are highly reactive, resulting in skin irritation, redness and burning when you have a firsthand experience.
The substantial thing is that these effects fade away when you continue to use them. The persisting irritation or burning sensation or redness should not be ignored. Visit a skin specialist or an experienced dermatologist.
Moderate to Severe Acne Treatment
- Chemical Peels: This treatment is a complex blend of safe chemical agents, which make a controlled injury to stimulate cell turnover. This acne treatment is effective in reducing acne scars, pigmentation and rejuvenating the surface.
- Microdermabrasion: This non-invasive superficial cosmetic procedure removes the outmost layer, which consists of dead cells. It encourages cells turnover procedure that strengthens texture and improves tone. You can see a big difference, as your congested pores get de-clogged.
- Omnilux : It represents a light emitting diode (LED) medical light based therapy. Many years of medical research has evolved this technology, which is incredible in delivering substantial difference in acne conditions. Likewise, there is laser resurfacing, which many dermatologists use to permanently fade away boxcar, atrophic, rolling and ice-pick scars.
Patients are advised to consult with an experienced skincare specialist, who has a history of treating this condition and a good score of successful results. You can see before and after treatment pictures to get an idea of what you are going to see as a visible difference to your skin. Moreover, the doctor would suggest dos and don’ts before and after the procedure, which helps in getting the best and desired results.
Dr. Sanjay Mohindra is a cosmetic physician who runs Cosmetic Clinic Coolangatta in Gold Coast. He delivers excellent results using 100% cruelty free cosmeceuticals, upgraded laser techniques and injectables like dermal fillers that are safe and extremely beneficial for reversing signs of aging, removing tattoos and scars, and rejuvenating skin.