Non-surgical skin tightening procedures have become very popular in recent years. This is because they provide a non invasive solution for tightening the skin and improving its quality without all of the issues that go along with a surgical procedure.
There are currently many different options, devices and technologies that your plastic surgeon can choose from that are non-invasive to tighten your skin and make it younger- and healthier-looking.
When to Consider Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Solutions
Non-surgical skin tightening options are the best choice when:
- You have mild to moderate sagging skin on your face, neck, arms and stomach.
- There is loose skin present after a surgery.
- You want to improve the overall look and health of your skin.
- You aren’t able or don’t want to choose a surgical solution for your skin improvement.
The Benefits to a Non-Surgical Solution
The benefits to choosing to have a non-invasive skin tightening solution include:
- It is, in fact, a non-invasive solution that can tighten loose, sagging skin on your face and body.
- With no incisions there is less discomfort and little to no major recovery time.
- A non-invasive procedure can be used on all types of skin.
Drawbacks to a Non-Surgical Solution
- The results are less dramatic than a facelift or body contouring.
- Normally you will need to receive multiple procedures to obtain maximum results.
- It’s possible to experience redness, temporary swelling or numbness around the areas treated.
Non-Surgical Procedures Available
The most popular non-surgical skin tightening procedures routinely performed include:
Laser Skin Rejuvenation
Several facial rejuvenation procedures can be performed with cosmetic laser techniques. Usually performed in an outpatient setting, these non invasive procedures require little or no anesthesia or downtime. Laser skin rejuvenation procedures include:
- Broadband Light (BBL) phototherapy procedures stimulate the skin to regenerate new collagen, eliminate fine blood vessels which cause redness and reduce unwanted melanin.
- Skin Resurfacing includes ProFractional therapy. This procedure offers moderate to significant improvement of wrinkles or acne scars.
- Skin Firming treatments consist of pulsed infrared energy to deeply heat the skin. This promotes partial denaturation, contraction and regeneration of collagen.
Read Also: How Microneedling Rejuvenates Aging Skin
BOTOX® and Dermal Fillers
Another way you can reduce wrinkles on your face without surgery include BOTOX® (botulinum toxin) or dermal filler injections.
BOTOX® is a purified protein that prevents muscle contractions. When it’s injected into the correct muscles, it will temporarily soften lines caused by frowning, crow’s feet, forehead wrinkles and skin bands on the neck.
When injected into the proper area, filler gels temporarily restore facial volume. This enhances shallow contours and softens deep creases in the face.
Autologous Fat Grafting
Similar to fillers, autologous fat grafting is another safe and effective procedure for restoring facial volume without a risk of an allergic reaction or rejection. Since fat grafting is a more extensive procedure, you’ll need to be thoroughly evaluated by a plastic surgeon to make sure you’ll be a good candidate for the treatment.
Fat grafting is usually performed under a local aesthetic. The procedure consists of first harvesting fat with a suction. The common sites to harvest from include around the navel, around the leg, thigh and the arm.
The impurities are removed from the fat using a centrifuge and then re-injected as a grid of threads into the areas where augmentation is desired.
Swelling is the most common postoperative side effect, however, it usually goes back down within several weeks.
There several non-surgical options to tightening sagging skin. Ask your plastic surgeon; they can help you decide which will work best for your situation.
Dr Michael Zacharia is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Head and Neck (Otolaryngology) and specialises in Facial Plastic Surgery. He is also an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist surgeon. Combining the latest medical, surgical and health techniques, Dr Zacharia delivers the best outcome for each and every one of his patients.