With COVID, quarantines, working from home and regular Zoom meetings, seeing your face and others online is a daily occurrence. However, have you noticed on sites like Instagram, everyone’s face seems to look the same?
While you may have attributed that to programs like FaceTune, the truth is 2020 is a little different. With everyone being home and online, a new trend has emerged, giving you a FaceTune appearance without an app. Thread lifts on social media have gained in popularity and this non-invasive procedure offers many benefits similar to a more traditional facelift.
What Is a Thread Lift?
A thread lift is a non-surgical procedure that uses temporary sutures to provide subtle lifts to skin, as well as help stimulate collagen production to the area of the sutures, helping to increase facial volume. Years ago, when you experienced drooping eyelids, sagging cheeks, jowls and other signs of aging, you had to bite the bullet and opt for a facelift to get back a youthful appearance. While this works for some, others were just unwilling to go under the knife. The good news is a thread lift now gives you another option.
If you want that Instagram look offline, a thread lift offers a quick, non-invasive solution.
During a thread lift procedure, your physician uses a small needle to put specialized sutures in place. The sutures used depend on the results you are looking for. The three main types of threads used include mono, cog and screw. Mono threads stimulate collagen production and provide a very subtle lift; cog threads have microscopic barbs that increase collagen production while also attaching to skin tissue to provide a more instant lift; screw threads are intertwined threads designed to provide a volumizing effect. Other thread lifts, such as the Silhouette InstaLift™, focus more on lifting than collagen production by using tiny cones that can grab more tissue and provide a very noticeable lift.
Unlike a traditional facelift, a thread lift is performed under local anesthesia and typically takes 45 minutes to complete, and with no downtime, you can return to your normal routine the same day.
The Benefits of a Thread Lift
One of the biggest advantages of a thread lift over a traditional facelift is the recovery period. A traditional facelift is a major surgical procedure requiring around-the-clock assistance for the first few days and anywhere from one to two weeks off work. For many, this is not an option. A thread lift, however, requires little to no downtime, with many people able to return to their daily activities right after the procedure. If this isn’t enough, thread lifts offer a few other benefits as well.
- Non-Invasive – this non-invasive procedure has little risk of scarring, bruising, bleeding or other common complications associated with facelifts.
- Immediate Results – Due to the swelling and bruising associated with facelifts, it is often days or weeks before you see results. With a thread lift, you will have noticeable results immediately after your procedure.
- Long-Lasting Results – While not as lasting as a facelift, thread lifts can provide optimal results for one to three years, depending on the technique and threads used.
- Stimulates Collagen Production – When the threads are in place, they trigger your body’s natural healing response and increases your production of collagen. This collagen is what helps to keep your skin strong, supple and full of volume. Continual collagen production leads to improved skin tone and texture.
- Can Combine with Other Procedures – If you are looking for a complete facial makeover, the fact that a thread lift is non-invasive and has no recovery time allows you to combine other procedures, such as skin resurfacing to target fine lines and age spots. It is also a great addition to a mommy makeover.
Unfortunately, a thread lift is not the perfect solution for everyone. It is ideal for those with mild to moderate signs of aging. If you have more pronounced drooping, sagging and loose skin, you may not get the benefits you want with a thread lift and a facelift may be your best option.
At Hamilton Surgical Arts, our cosmetic surgeons have over 40 years of combined experience to help you find the treatment option that’s right for you. Both Dr. Lowery and Dr. Jackson are recognized leaders in the cosmetic surgery field, providing the highest quality care in the Indianapolis area.