Dermal fillers are one of the most popular nonsurgical rejuvenation treatments among both women and men. In just a few moments, patients can improve the appearance of deep lines or wrinkles for a refreshed (rather than surgical) look. Your dermatologist can help you to decide which option will be right for you, but here’s a closer look at the possibilities.
Hyaluronic Acid Fillers
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a substance that’s naturally present in the body. With age, HA production declines, contributing to volume loss and visible lines and wrinkles. There are several types of HA fillers:
- Restylane® is one of the most commonly used HA fillers. It has a very soft texture that makes it ideal for correcting mild to moderate wrinkles as well as enhancing the lips. Perlane® is very similar, but is best for areas that require a deeper injection level.
- JUVÉDERM® comes in a gel-like formulation for a smooth, natural look and results that can last up to 12 months. The best JUVÉDERM® treatments work to effectively diminish deep lines and wrinkles in patients who are already happy with the results of HA fillers and are ready for a longer-lasting commitment.
- BELOTERO BALANCE ® is the newest HA filler, allowing for greater versatility that’s effective for deeper treatments as well as more delicate areas.
There are other effective fillers available that are not HA-based:
- RADIESSE® is made of calcium hydroxyapatite, another naturally-occurring substance in the body that declines with time. In addition to adding immediate volume, RADIESSE® also promotes collagen production at the injection site for long-term correction.
- Sculptra® is a biodegradable filler based on poly-L-lactic acid, a common component of dissolvable sutures. After a few treatments spaced just weeks apart, Sculptra® injections promote new collagen production for diminished lines and wrinkles.
Dr. Michele Green is a board-certified dermatologist who makes her patients’ skin health her top priority. In addition to providing a full range of noninvasive and minimally invasive medical and cosmetic procedures, Dr. Green also requires a skin cancer screening at the outset of each treatment, and she remains at the forefront of skin cancer detection and treatment. Because of her commitment to patients’ ongoing skin health beyond aesthetic enhancements alone, Dr. Green also offers her own line of intensive skin care products to help maintain and restore healthy skin.
A Yale graduate who earned her MD from Mount Sinai Medical School in New York City, Dr. Green is highly committed to providing the latest in skin care and anti-aging treatments, and keeps up to date on the latest options in a variety of treatments including a number of different laser skin rejuvenation procedures. As a doctor who worked early in her career with product safety and development for top brands including L’Oreal and Johnson & Johnson, Dr. Green combines a researcher’s perfectionism with a down-to-earth and personal approach that enables her to adapt treatments precisely to meet individual needs.
The most popular procedures at Dr. Green’s New York cosmetic dermatology practice include Fraxel® laser skin rejuvenation, BOTOX® Cosmetic, and specialized procedures to correct a number of skin pigmentation problems. She also provides a full complement of medical procedures to treat acne, rosacea, skin cancers, and a number of other skin conditions including psoriasis, eczema, and hemangiomas.