When diet and exercise aren’t enough to achieve the waistline you desire, a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is often the best way to tighten loose abdominal muscles and remove excess fat and skin. This procedure helps to restore separated abdominal muscles, the result is a firmer, smoother abdominal profile. But in some cases abdominoplasty alone is not enough:
If you have achieved significant weight loss, this might result in a significant amount of loose folds of skin hanging around the abdomen. This excess skin can cause rashes along the hips and groin and above the pubic area. It is here that panniculectomy can offer relief and enhance your appearance.
Panniculectomy helps remove the pannus or “apron” of loose tissue from below the belly button and around the hips. The procedure can be performed alone or in combination with abdominoplasty. Many of my patients choose this procedure partly because of the aesthetic benefits; but in many cases, the main concern is health and comfort. Hanging skin can lead to a number of problems, and after extreme weight loss, abdominoplasty alone might not be enough to restore your natural (and more comfortable) shape.
Abdominoplasty might be a good option if you:
- Are concerned about excess fat, skin, and/or loose abdominal muscles
- Are at a stable weight
- Are physically healthy
- Are a non-smoker
- Understand that abdominoplasty gets the best results when used in combination with (never instead of) exercise and a healthy lifestyle
Panniculectomy is a good option if:
- Obesity or post-pregnancy problems have left you with excessive fat
- You have achieved stabilized weight for one year or longer
- Loose abdominal tissue is causing back problems, skin problems, ulcers, rashes, or general discomfort
- You maintain a healthy diet and exercise consistently
- You have positive outlook and healthy expectations
- You are committed to a healthy lifestyle, and your interest in surgery is just one part of that positive commitment
The best way to determine which procedure is best for you is to consult an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Frank Campanile is a board-certified plastic surgeon who is also fellowship trained in hand and microsurgery. Dr. Campanile knows that making a lasting change to your appearance is a big decision. His calm, professional approach and deep caring for his patients set a tone that will help you feel confident and relaxed while reviewing your options and learning all about the procedures that can benefit you. Request a consultation today to meet with Dr. Campanile in person.