If regular med spa visits for injectable touchups were a part of your normal routine, 2020 and the COVID pandemic has likely put those on pause. State and local restrictions have affected the ability of many locations to provide services at one point or another. Because of how weird this year has been, and the fact that you don’t know when you might be able to get in for your next injection, it is important that you know how to maintain injectable results and how to make your fillers last longer.
Some Things You Can Do Nothing About
How long your injectable treatments last depend on a number of different factors. Unfortunately, you have no control over some of those factors. To begin with, how long your fillers or injectables may last depend on the type. For example, BOTOX results typically last for a few months while dermal fillers can last a few years. It all depends on how the injectables work and how your body reacts to them. While BOTOX relaxes the muscles for short time, they eventually come back. Dermal fillers take time for the body to absorb, so how long they last depend on your body. Those with faster metabolisms will break down fillers more quickly than those with slow metabolisms.
Another factor that affects how long your injectables last is the location of your injections. Facial movement affects how fast your body breaks down the fillers, so fillers around your mouth are likely to break down quicker than filler around the brows.
While your body and the type of injectable filler you have do play a role in how long they last, there are some things you can do to help make them last longer.
How to Help Make Your Fillers Last Longer
While, as much as you might like to, you cannot change your body and how it metabolizes fillers. But the good news is there are things that you can do to help maintain your injectable results and make your fillers last longer. These tips can help you extend the time between treatments during these crazy times.
- Avoid Sun Exposure – Protecting your skin from the sun and UV rays is a good practice whether you receive injectables or not. Exposure to the sun affects the hydration of your skin and can contribute to signs of aging. This can speed up the deterioration of your fillers. Always wear sunscreen and consider shading your face with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Be Gentle to Your Face – This is not the time for deep-cleaning facials. Applying pressure to areas where you have dermal fillers can break them down quicker. In addition, consider sleeping on your back as side and stomach sleeping can put additional pressure on your face.
- Maintain Good Skin Care – Your filler benefits will last longer if you take good care of your skin. This is especially true if you had a good skin care regimen in place before your fillers. Consistently apply moisturizer to your skin. Talk with your provider about adding skin care products designed for prolonging the life of your fillers.
- Eat Healthy and Stay Hydrated – You are what you eat. Eating healthy foods and drinking plenty of water will help keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- Reduce Your Stress Levels – While reducing your stress levels during this pandemic may seem difficult, stress is a major contributor to signs of aging and can shorten the effectiveness of your fillers. Consider meditation or yoga to help reduce stress.
- Stop Smoking – While you know smoking is bad for health, the truth is it is also bad for the life of your fillers, so now is the perfect time to give it up. Nicotine narrows your blood vessels and can limit the amount of moisture your skin receives.
- Watch Your Exercise – While no one is saying to stop exercising, exercise can play a role in how long your dermal fillers last. Increasing your workout routine can boost your metabolism, breaking down fillers more quickly. Continue to maintain your regular workout routine.
WellSkin Medical Spa in Dallas is dedicated to providing patients with premier beauty treatments for optimal skin health and beauty. Founded by Licensed Medical Aesthetician Tonja Wells, WellSkin relies on advanced technologies to deliver refreshed skin, a better complexion, and even an enhanced body, all without surgery, stitches or scars.
The med spa offers today’s latest non surgical cosmetic enhancements, including BOTOX Cosmetic, injectable fillers, laser hair removal and facial treatments.