If you’re unhappy with your breast appearance, you’re in good company. Breasts are particularly vulnerable to the many changes women go through over their lifespan. Pregnancy, breast feeding, fluctuations in weight, illness and aging can all impact the breasts.
Whether you’re dissatisfied with your breast size or another aspect of your breasts’ appearance, breast enhancement surgery can help address your concerns.The trick is finding the breast surgery that’s right for you.
Let Breast Augmentation Give You a Boost
Breast augmentation is the go-to procedure for women who want to add volume to their breasts. The beauty of breast augmentation is that it’s highly customizable. There are a number of factors that contribute to your final results:
- Implant type. Breast implants are available in saline or silicone. Saline implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution, and silicone implants are made of silicone gel, a substance closely resembling the look and feel of human tissue. Each implant type comes with its own set of advantages.
- Incision type. To get the implant into the breast pocket, an incision must be made. Your plastic surgeon may create one of two incisions: inframammary (in the breast crease) or periareolar (through the areola). The type of incision you have will depend upon your aesthetic goals, your anatomy and the size of your implants.
- Implant Placement. Your breast implants can be placed either below the pectoralis muscle (submuscular) or directly behind the breast tissue (subglandular). Your plastic surgeon can advise you on which placement would likely work best for you.
- Implant size. You may be pleasantly surprised to learn that breast implants come in a range of sizes, including smaller sizes. In fact, in recent years there’s been a trend toward smaller breast implants, which just goes to show that you don’t have to supersize your chest to appreciate the benefits of breast augmentation.
- Implant Shape. You can choose either round or tear-drop shaped breast implants. All saline implants are round.
Breast Lifts Are the Ultimate Pick-Me-Up
Saggy breasts can happen to the best of us, but that doesn’t mean we have to accept it. The skin on the breasts can become stretched and lose its elasticity, leaving breasts looking tired and droopy. A breast lift, or mastopexy, can breathe new life into your breasts.
A breast lift can revitalize the breasts, transforming them from droopy to drop-dead gorgeous.
During a breast lift, your plastic surgeon will remove excess breast tissue to reshape the breasts. He’ll also work to reposition the areola for an overall revitalized appearance. For some women, a breast lift is the answer to all their aesthetic concerns. For others, it’s one aspect of their breast enhancement journey.
When a Combo Approach Is Best
It’s common to combine a breast lift with a breast augmentation, either as a part of a mommy makeover or simply as a standalone procedure. This combination approach can be best of both worlds. Oftentimes women with sagging breasts are interested in the uplifting effects of a mastopexy while also desiring a size increase offered by breast implants.
Breast Reduction Can Bring Relief
There are women frustrated with their small breasts and there are women who suffer as the result of breasts that are too large. Big breasts can cause all manner of complaints, from back pain to skin irritation to unwelcome attention.A breast reduction can relieve the burden of too-big breasts, restoring a more proportionate, balanced look to your figure.
To explore your breast enhancement options, be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Lee B. Daniel is board certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and General Surgery. He is a member of numerous societies including the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.