In the quest to achieve that enviable Hollywood smile, various teeth whitening products have been developed. One of the most popular teeth whitening products available is the teeth whitening pen. The popularity of this ingenious product is not surprising if we consider all the peerless benefits it offers.
With teeth whitening pens, the teeth whitening process has never been easier—no mouth trays, no toothbrush, no sinks. It’s effective, convenient, and you can even take it with you when you travel! Also known as brush-on whiteners, teeth whitening pens resemble your typical lipstick or ballpoint pen.
Teeth Whitening Pens in a Nutshell
Like most teeth whitening products, whitening pens contain bleaching gels such as hydrogen peroxide, carbamide peroxide, and other peroxide compounds. The peroxide in the gel breaks down when applied to the teeth. This allows oxygen to penetrate your tooth’s enamel and lighten them in the process.
To use a teeth whitening pen, you simply need to release the serum and brush it thinly onto the surface of your teeth, avoiding the gumline. After a few minutes, the serum dissolves away completely—no brushing and rinsing required. You just need to avoid foods for 20 minutes, and you will enjoy whiter teeth and fresh minty breath in an instant.
Benefits of Using Teeth Whitening Pens
Compared to other options, teeth whitening pens offer several enticing benefits. For starters:
- Easy to Use. As mentioned earlier, using teeth whitening pens is straightforward and effortless. You just brush the gel onto your teeth, and you’re good to go. Since using the product has very minimal hassle involved, it’s easier for you to use it routinely.
- Effective. Several studies have proven that teeth whitening pens are highly effective at brightening your smile thanks to the powerful concentration of hydrogen peroxide and other active teeth whitening ingredients.
- Gentle. Teeth whitening pens are gentle to use and will not cause sensitivity. Also, unlike other options, teeth whitening pens are considered safer as they are designed not to come in contact with the tongue, gums, or the interior of the cheeks.
- Affordable. For many, teeth whitening pens provide effective teeth whitening at a fraction of the cost of other teeth whitening alternatives. You can also do the procedure when it’s convenient for you, no need to work with complicated systems involving strips or trays.
Teeth Whitening Pens Risks
Whitening pens are typically considered safe to use. However, it must be used according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer. If not used accordingly, some of the possible risks include:
- Gum irritation. This can occur if you use the application on your gum line.
- Enamel damage. If overused, the peroxide compounds might cause damage to the enamel of the teeth.
Ensure you pick a teeth whitening pen with gentle ingredients so you can avoid any of the possible side effects. Ideally, the product should only be used in moderation so you can avoid damaging the enamel of your teeth.
Are teeth whitening pens worth a try? For many, the answer is a resounding yes. Considering all the benefits they offer, including giving you that Hollywood smile treatment, it’s easy to see they are one of the best options available. However, if you have some doubts, it is recommended that you check with your dentist for expert advice and guidance.
Dr. Gary Salwin leads the Glendale Dental Group, Arizona. He and his team treat dental emergencies and perform a whole range of dental services. He has been practicing dentistry for more than 36 years.