Dandruff is caused by the microbe Malassezia globosa, which is present on everyone’s scalp. The yeast microbe feeds on the sebum present in the scalp and makes it dry. This is the reason for the cause of dandruff, especially during the cold weather season. Here are a few details about dandruff, possible reasons for it getting worse in winter, and a few tips to overcome the issue.
Dandruff in Winter
Winter is the season for cold and dry air. This gives room for dandruff to increase and leaves the scalp itchy and dry. The thick white flakes on the scalp block the new hair follicles and you may see a visible shedding of hair from the scalp especially during the opens in a new windowwinter season.
A few factors include:
- Not brushing the hair regularly
- Dryness in the scalp
- opens in a new windowSeborrheic dermatitis
- Neurological illness and Parkinsons disease
- Not consuming foods rich in zinc, B vitamins
Tips to Treat Dandruff
- Regular brushing of the hair increases blood circulation, which also helps to keep the flakes away and keeps the hair healthy.
- Keep your water intake up. You may not feel as thirsty in winter, which invites dryness and makes the scalp and the skin extremely dry. Make sure to drink at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Avoid using hair dryers as it can make the hair and the scalp extremely dry.
- Use a soft cotton towel to dry and wipe your hair. This helps to keep your hair even frizz-free.
- Include a diet rich in opens in a new windowomega-3 fatty acid, zinc, vitamin B rich foods, eggs, bananas, raw salads, and spinach. If you are unable to receive the necessary nutrients through the foods, then take supplements for your hair.
- Adding too much sugary foods in the diet can make your scalp dry, resulting in excess dandruff flakes. Refrain from sweets, fried foods, packaged foods etc.
- Apply warm coconut oil before taking a bath or shower and wash it off with a mild shampoo.
- Rubbing onion juice or garlic juice mixed with honey on the scalp can help to reduce dandruff.
- Avoid hair dyes and excessive use of styling products as it not only damages the hair, but also brings increased dryness of the scalp.
- Applying a mixture of lemon and honey to the scalp helps to retain the moisture content of the hair as well as it helps to reduce dandruff and itching. Buy moisturizer and opens in a new windowhair care products from any trusted online medicine store and get them delivered directly to your doorstep.
- An age-old remedy to fight dandruff is plain yogurt. It offers multiple benefits both internally and externally. It helps the hair to hold the moisture content, reduces hair fall, and makes the hair look stronger and healthier.
- Avoid taking a shower in hot water.
If you have dandruff even after trying a few home remedies, try consulting a dermatologist for more options.
Lakshmi is a content writer for Zoylo Digihealth which is an online healthcare platform offering a number of healthcare services under one umbrella. She focuses on subject areas of immunology, cell biology, and molecular biology, and aims to provide research-based information in a simple and easily comprehensible way to the readers. In her spare time, she loves to experiment with various cuisines and enjoys painting, travelling, and gardening.