If you’re considering a particular treatment to improve your appearance, going into it with some idea of what to expect can give you the confidence you need to know it’s right for you. Furthermore, many want to know how a treatment works and even how much they’ll have to pay beforehand. If you’ve thought about getting any of these four popular treatments, this guide will teach you everything you want to know before you show up for your appointment.
Two Treatments that Improve Your Skin
Skin treatments are among the most popular cosmetic procedures. Able to target the flaws in your skin, these treatments can highlight your skin’s natural beauty and help it appear smooth and more vibrant. Ultimately, skin procedures are worth the investment for anyone who wants to appear more youthful.
If you have acne scars and other skin issues, dermabrasion may be the solution for you. But before booking your appointment, consider the details involved with this popular procedure so you know for sure that it’s worth your hard-earned money.
Pros – What Problems are Fixed with Dermabrasion?
- Excellent for improving acne scars
- Can improve the appearance of pox marks and other scars
- Produces a clear, more youthful appearance
Cons – The Limits of Dermabrasion
- Not useful for treating congenital skin problems
- Doesn’t help scars caused by burns or with mole or birthmark removal
- Only recommended for those with fair skin– it may cause discoloration otherwise
What Happens During Your Dermabrasion Appointment?
To schedule an appointment for dermabrasion, you’ll have to speak to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. They’ll be using a special device that brushes across your skin, similar to the way a sander smooths over a piece of wood. You’ll very likely be under anesthesia during this procedure, but you’ll come out of the appointment with invigorating, younger-looking skin.
How Much Will You Pay for a Dermabrasion Procedure?
Factors like location can affect the price, but the average cost of a dermabrasion procedure is $1249.
Similar Procedures to Consider
- Microdermabrasion: Less restrictive, shorter recovery time, works on all skin types.
- Microneedling: Uses tiny needles to stimulate collagen and rejuvenation of your skin.
Laser Hair Removal
Both men and women grow hair in untraditional places, and when that hair makes women appear to have a mustache or men to resemble a hairy ape, seeking professional help may be worthwhile. Here’s everything you should expect from laser hair removal and what it can do for you.
Pros – What are the Advantages of Laser Hair Removal?
- Extremely accurate removal of just the hairs you want to get rid of.
- The fastest method of removing unwanted hair.
- Can permanently remove hair in a few sessions.
Cons – Limitations and Drawbacks of Laser Hair Removal
- Far more expensive than similar treatments.
- Long-time investment– it may involve many sessions with 6-weeks between each
- Side effects may include itching, swelling, pain, and discoloration.
What Happens During Laser Hair Removal?
Once you’ve made your appointment, the doctor may ask a few questions and prepare the area for your treatment. You may be surprised at how fast the laser hair removal process goes, as most areas will be completed within seconds. While each appointment can be expected to be brief, you’ll very likely be coming back since the results you want may require about 3-8 sessions.
Cost of Laser Hair Removal?
Although the size of the area you want to be treated will be a major factor, it’s safe to expect to pay around $235 per session for laser hair removal. Remember to multiply that by the 3-8 treatments you may need to achieve the desired result.
Similar Treatments to Laser Hair Removal
- Waxing: Excellent for removing large areas of hair like your bikini line or back.
- Electrolysis: Uses an electrified needle to remove unwanted hair.
Two Dental Treatments that Enhance Your Smile
Aside from our skin, another aspect of our appearance that can make a strong first impression is our smile. Even if someone has 6-pack abs and beautiful skin, a smile with broken, yellow teeth can take a major toll on the way they look. Fortunately, a wide range of cosmetic dental procedures are available to ensure that your first impression is a memorable one.
Of all the cosmetic treatments that can give you a Hollywood smile, veneers are arguably the most popular. Capable of hiding cracks, chips, and stains in your teeth, veneers not only strengthen the teeth they’re attached to, but they also give you the beautiful smile you deserve.
Pros – See How Veneers Can Upgrade Your Smile
- Instantly achieve a white, beautiful smile.
- Mask a wide range of cosmetic dental problems, including stains and cracks.
- Protect and replace the enamel of your teeth.
Cons – Drawbacks to Keep in Mind
- Veneers are one of the most expensive cosmetic treatments and are rarely insured.
- Permanent procedure– veneers are designed to remain on your teeth for life.
- Increases the sensitivity of your teeth.
What Happens When Getting Dental Veneers?
Before you’re able to commit to porcelain veneers, you’ll have to schedule a consultation with a dentist who specializes in cosmetic services, like Dr. Wael Borham. Once approved, the veneers will be matched to the color of your teeth, allowing you to choose the shade of white you want for your new smile. Bonding will be added to each tooth and the thin, porcelain veneers will be permanently affixed to each of them, hiding your flaws and enhancing your smile.
How Much Will You Pay for Veneers?
Considering the effectiveness of the treatment, veneers are among the most expensive options. Typically each veneer will cost around $1313, so after multiplying that by however many you intend to get, it’s easy to see how this can become an expensive treatment.
Similar Procedures to Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Bonding: Less expensive option which uses plastic resin to correct dental flaws.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: Can whiten teeth by up to 10 shades in a short time.
All it takes is one or two wayward teeth to throw off your entire smile. Invisalign lets patients not only straighten out their smile, but does it discreetly using plastic aligners that are almost invisible to the naked eye. With major advancements in comfort and appearance, Invisalign has quickly become the most popular orthodontic treatment.
Pros – Benefits You Can Expect from Invisalign
- The fact that they’re removable eliminates discomfort when eating.
- Improved aesthetics because they’re virtually invisible to onlookers.
- Never worry about irritation from metal wires like with traditional braces.
Cons – Limitations and Drawbacks of Invisalign
- Because they’re removable, it makes them easy to lose and expensive to replace.
- Only suitable for straightening the front teeth, not the back ones.
- The straightening effect isn’t as powerful as with traditional braces.
What to Expect From Your Invisalign Procedure
As with most cosmetic dental options, Invisalign will involve a consultation with a dentist who offers it, like Dr. Peter Silberstein from Boynton Beach, FL. Once approved, you can expect digital x-rays, impressions, and images to be taken so they can create a perfectly fitting aligner. After receiving your first aligner, you’ll replace it with one that’s slightly tighter every two weeks until your treatment is complete in a year or so.
Cost of the Invisalign Procedure
You may be able to find promotions or discounts on Invisalign, but the typical price for the treatment is $5000. Note that metal braces are often less expensive.
Procedures that are Similar to Invisalign
- Other brands such as ClearBraces may have alternate stipulations and prices.
- Metal braces are the traditional method of straightening your teeth and are still effective.
Understand the Drawbacks for a Balanced Perspective
When we have our mind set on a particular cosmetic procedure, it’s tempting to only think about what it can do to enhance our appearance. However, taking the time to actually look at the negative aspects as well can give you a fully-balanced perspective, enabling you to go into the appointment assured that you’ve made the right choice. Not all cosmetic procedures are suitable for everyone, but by weighing the pros and cons, you can figure out which is best for you.
Nicholas Napier is a Navy Vet and MBA living in San Diego. He works as an SEO specialist and writer while hosting the Rogue Writers Podcast. His interests include philosophy, fitness, nutrition, and martial arts. For inquiries, email Nicholas.