Get the latest beauty news right in your inbox!
Facelift Facial Rejuvenation

Facelift 101: The Next Step in Facial Rejuvenation

facelift incision locations

If you decide that minimally invasive anti-aging treatments aren’t giving you the results that you are looking for, it may be time for the next step in facial rejuvenation. The goal of a facial plastic surgeon is to help you look subtly younger and well-rested, so that everyone will notice a difference, but no one will know you’ve had “work” done.

The key to successful facial plastic surgery is to create harmony and balance in your features. A good surgeon should never try to convince you to have more or unnecessary procedures.

Making the Right Choice

Deciding to have surgery to correct or enhance the appearance and structure of your face is extremely important, and deserves extensive consideration. However, the most important decision you can make once you’ve decided to embark on this journey is to choose the right facial plastic surgeon.

Not every doctor with “surgeon” listed in his/her credentials is qualified to perform facial plastic surgery. Only plastic surgeons who are board certified have undergone the rigorous, specialized training and are truly qualified to perform your surgical procedure.

There were over 120,000 facelifts performed in the United States in 2016, with women accounting for about 89 percent of that number, and men for the remaining 11 percent. While 11 percent doesn’t seem like a large number, facelift surgery is one of the top five plastic surgery procedures most requested by men. It is important for your surgeon to understand the inherent differences in the facial structure of men and women. For men, their facelift will restore youthfulness to their face while preserving their masculine features, and women can rest assured that they will emerge looking feminine and lovely.

Facelift Options

At Daines Plastic Surgery, you can choose from two types of facelifts, according to your unique needs:

  • Mid-Face Lift – This procedure focuses on your mid-face (cheeks and outer corners of your nose and mouth) and is designed to lift sagging in that area. It can be performed alone or in combination with a standard facelift.
  • Standard Facelift – A standard facelift is designed to rejuvenate the lower section of your face (cheekbones to jawline). It can address sagging skin, jowls, and excessive wrinkles in that area. If necessary, you may also want to consider a neck lift at this time, so that the more youthful skin on your face extends to your neck as well.

Facelift Procedure and Recovery

A facelift is typically performed using general anesthesia, and is most often an outpatient procedure. The facelift will begin by placing incisions along the hairline and following the natural folds and contours of the ears, so that any scarring is hidden. A surgeon often uses either a short-scar incision (which begins at the front of the ear and extends around the earlobe) or a standard incision (which is done just like a short-scar, but extends into the hairline at the back of your neck).

Using these incisions, the surgeon is able to lift and manipulate the underlying tissue of your face in order to smooth and tighten the areas where excess skin and loss of elasticity has caused drooping. Once he has addressed these problem areas, he will close the incisions and you are ready for recovery.

Post-procedure, you will experience swelling and bruising for a couple of weeks, but this is normal, and any discomfort can be mitigated with ice and over-the-counter pain medication. Your surgeon will give you instructions on how to care for yourself during the healing process, as well as scheduling follow-up visits to monitor your progress. Depending on the extent of your procedure, most people are able to resume daily activities and light exercise after about two weeks, but again, it is vital that you follow your surgeon’s instructions to ensure proper healing and superior results.

If you have tried a multitude of anti-aging treatments and are still feeling as if time is doing a number on your face, a mid-face lift or standard facelift at Daines Plastic Surgery may be the answer. Call our office today at 949-209-1622 to schedule an appointment for a consultation to explore your options for a beautiful, natural-looking facial rejuvenation.

Facelift 101: The Next Step in Facial Rejuvenation
Article Name
Facelift 101: The Next Step in Facial Rejuvenation
Double board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Steven M. Daines of Newport Beach discusses today's modern facelift options, including the mid-face lift.
Publisher Name
BeautySmoothie Beauty Blog
Publisher Logo
Previous Post
December 16, 2017
Next Post
December 16, 2017