Who doesn’t want a memorable smile that leaves others mesmerized and wanting more? And what’s better than a dimpled one which looks even more pretty and beautiful? Aren’t we all smitten by the amazing dimpled smile of Alia Bhatt and the manly yet unique smile of John Abraham?
What’s the common factor here which makes us fall in love with their smile? Definitely it’s their dimples! One can imagine that being born with dimples is such a blessing, however, now it is possible to create dimples very easily with a small surgical procedure.
What are Natural Dimples?
A dimple is formed naturally when there is a slight problem in the cheek muscle. As a result, the skin covering this defect-prone area is stuck down at the time when the cheek muscle contracts as you smile.
The overlying skin forms deep notches to create the dimple. But now as mentioned above, a dimple can be artificially created, and here you will learn how.
What is Dimple Creation Surgery?
Dimple creation surgery, often referred to as dimpleplasty is a cosmetic surgery procedure that can artificially create 100% natural-looking dimples. In this procedure, a small, painless incision on the inside of the cheek is made to create the dimple. The procedure is performed from the inside of your mouth with no incisions or scars on the outside skin.
Generally, the size and the depth of the dimple is customizable according to the need and the requirement of the patient. Also, it is not necessary that one can have dimples only on the cheeks. It is also possible to create a dimple on the chin or wherever the patient wants it.
All of this is decided during the initial consultation with your surgeon. The experience of the doctor matters along with the reviews and experiences of the previous patients who have had dimplepasty.
What Questions to Ask During the Consultation?
Here are some questions that you can ask at the consultation before undergoing the procedure. Getting the answers to these questions will help you in making an informed decision regarding the procedure.
- What does the procedure entail?
- What is the time required for the procedure?
- Will there be any stitches?
- Will I have to stay overnight at the facility?
- What precautions must be taken by my side before the procedure?
- What is the recovery like after the procedure?
- Are there any risks or complications that might arise out of the procedure?
- What measures must be taken to have a smooth procedure?
During the consultation, your surgeon will ask you about the size, shape, and depth of the dimple you want. Your pictures will be taken in order to analyze the before-after results. Your medical history, any impending allergies, and other surgeries you have undergone must be informed to the doctor in order to have a smooth process later.
What to Expect Before the Dimpleplasty?
Since dimpleplasty is a minimally invasive procedure there aren’t too many preparations necessary before the surgery from the patient’s perspective. You may be asked to undergo a couple of routine blood and urine tests in order to establish basic parameters for the surgery. But other than that, no special preparation is required from the patient’s side.
What is the Procedure Like?
- Artificial dimples are created once a local anesthetic has been applied. You will be awake while the procedure is carried out unless you talk with your doctor about preferring full IV sedation.
- Generally, dimple creation surgery takes 20-30 minutes, and you won’t need a stay at the hospital. You can leave for home after the completion of the surgery, but need to strictly follow the routine suggested by your doctor.
- A biopsy instrument will be placed against your inner cheek, and circular motions will be made. A core of the skin will be removed, leaving the cheek skin intact. This will lead to the creation of a cylindrical defect beneath the skin, which is afterwards covered up with the use of an absorbable suture.
What Happens after a Dimpleplasty?
- After the completion of the procedure, you will experience some swelling. Though this is quite common, you need to take care of the same by washing your mouth using an antiseptic solution daily as stated by your dimple creation surgeon.
- The patient can go home immediately and rest after the Application of cold packs is advisable to control the swelling. This swelling generally subsides within a week or so.
- The patient can start eating normal food after 2-3 hours of the surgery. However, you need to stay away from drinking or eating anything too cold or too hot as such food or drink can cause cold sores or burns.
- For the first 2-3 weeks, the dimples will be visible at all times, after about 3 weeks, the dimples will be visible only when the patient smiles.
- Most patients of Vanity Cosmetic Clinic are able to resume their daily routine within 2 days of the surgery.
- Take care of your oral hygiene at least for 15 days to make the surgery successful. Also, take the antibiotics as prescribed by the doctor.
- Routine checkups with your doctor will help analyze the recovery and the overall result.
What are the Risks Associated with Dimple Creation Surgery?
Bleeding, over or under correction are some of the most commonly observed risks connected with dimple creation surgery. But this can be avoided with proper oral health.
Additionally, make sure to take proper preoperative care and avoid the intake of food or drinks likely to thin blood. Moreover, avoid smoking and drinking both before and after the surgery – at least for a month.
What Other Facial Procedures Can Accentuate Your Beauty?
These procedures may compliment a dimpled face:
- Lip Enhancement – If you are bothered by flat and small sized lips then Lip Augmentation can give you beautiful, sensual and plump lips.
- Facelift – If you feel that pollution, aging and other natural elements are causing your face to look older or wrinkled then a facelift can help you in restoring your beauty safely and effectively.
Dr Santosh Bhatia is a Board-Certified, Plastic Surgeon who has worked wonders on patients in Mumbai, New York, Toronto, London, Chicago, Miami and Pune. His practice – Vanity Cosmetic Clinic is one of the top Plastic Surgery clinics in Mumbai.