A tummy tuck can be a great way to contour your midsection and give you a physique that you’re proud to show off. While many people have enjoyed the benefits that this body contouring procedure can provide, there are a few factors you should consider when getting ready for your tummy tuck.
1. Find a Tummy Tuck Specialist
When it comes to a procedure as complex as a tummy tuck, you’ll want to be sure you have a qualified surgeon who is knowledgeable enough to give you outstanding results. Finding a tummy tuck specialist with years of experience in body contouring is the number one thing to check off on your list of pre-tummy tuck preparations.
2. Decide on the Right Tummy Tuck
There are several types of tummy tuck your surgeon can perform, depending on your goals:
- A traditional tuck removes excess skin and tightens the musculature underneath to create a firmer, sleeker midsection.
- A mini tummy tuck uses a smaller incision to address only the lower abdomen, below your belly button. This option can be great for patients who don’t need the extensive correction of a full tummy tuck.
- Combining liposuction with your tummy tuck offers a more comprehensive solution for patients who want more advanced body contouring and a drain-free recovery.
3. Reach Your Goal Weight
A tummy tuck is never a substitute for healthy weight loss. Reaching a healthy weight before your procedure is not only recommended for health reasons, but can actually improve your results.
4. Quit Smoking
In addition to the numerous health issues that smoking can cause, smoke inhalation can weaken the elasticity in your skin and increase your required healing time. For the best tummy tuck results, ditch the cigarettes well before your procedure.
Dr. Francesco Campanile is a board-certified plastic surgeon who is also fellowship trained in hand and microsurgery. Dr. Campanile knows that making a lasting change to your appearance is a big decision. His calm, professional approach and deep caring for his patients set a tone that will help you feel confident and relaxed while reviewing your options and learning all about the procedures that can benefit you. Request a consultation today to meet with Dr. Campanile in person.